qmail setup, 2006.10.20

Posted by bbinkovitz on 2006.10.21 @ 09:06

Filed under:

Here’s the path I took to install http://www.qmailrocks.org/ on fedora core 5 x86_64 running on an Athlon 64.

  • pre-install
    • yum install php-imap
    • yum install php-mysql
    • cpan Digest::SHA1
    • cpan Digest::HMAC
    • cpan Net::DNS
    • cpan Time::HiRes
    • cpan HTML::Tagset
    • cpan HTML::Parser
  • downloaded, compiled, etc. according to the qmailrocks redhat howto with the following exceptions:
    • skipped installing the autoresponder — we don’t want any autoresponder functionality.
    • installed vpopmail WITH mysql integration.
    • mysql integration failed with some compilation errors. It looks like this is a 64-bit compatibility issue — it seems to be trying to link against 32-bit libraries and the ld line is failing. I don’t have time to troubleshoot this now.
    • went back and installed autoresponder because it was required for another install. Sigh.
    • skipped vqadmin because it gave us inscrutable compile errors and wouldn’t install.
  • tested SMTP with no problems
  • Post-install add-ons
    • Clam Antivirus
      • Clam is not installing properly due to dependency conflicts. Upon further investigation, certain perl modules were missing. ran:
        • cpan Time::HiRes – for some reason this did an install when i ran it this time, although earlier it had said it was UTD.
        • cpan The Pod::Usage
        • cpan Parse::Syslog
        • cpan Statistics::Distributions
      • Clam is now not able to install because the qmailrocks RPMs won’t work on the 64-bit processor, so i’m yumming them.
        • yum install perl-suidperl
        • yum install clamav clamav-milter clamav-server clamav-update
      • ClamReadMe
        • [root@leikata etc]# mv /etc/clamd.conf /etc/clamd.d/softpixel.conf
        • [root@leikata etc]# ln -s /etc/clamd.d/softpixel.conf /etc/clamd.conf
        • replaced all “<SERVICE>” tags with “softpixel” (also removing brackets) in the clamd.conf file.
        • [root@leikata template]# mv clamd.logrotate /etc/logrotate.d
        • replaced all “<SERVICE>” tags with “softpixel” (also removing brackets) in the clamd.logrotate
        • [root@leikata clamd.d]# mkdir /var/log/clamav/
        • [root@leikata clamd.d]# touch /var/log/clamav/clamd.softpixel
        • [root@leikata clamd.d]# chgrp qscand /var/log/clamav/clamd.softpixel
        • [root@leikata clamd.d]# chmod 0620 /var/log/clamav/clamd.softpixel
      • Setting the updater:
        • [root@leikata clamav]# touch /var/log/clamav/clam-update.log
        • [root@leikata clamav]# chmod 775 /var/log/clamav/clam-update.log
        • [root@leikata clamav]# chown qscand:qscand /var/log/clamav/clam-update.log
        • [root@leikata log]# chown qscand:qscand -R /var/lib/clamav
        • [root@leikata log]# /usr/bin/freshclam -l /var/log/clamav/clam-update.log
        • it updated.
    • SpamAssasin
    • Qmail Scanner
      • [root@leikata qlogtools-3.1]# vi /usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/zfailures <– replaced the “sort +2” pipe with “sort -n -r -k 2” — the version of sort included with fedora doesn’t support the “+2” syntax.
      • [root@leikata qlogtools-3.1]# vi /usr/local/qmailanalog/bin/zdeferrals <– replaced the “sort +2” pipe with “sort -n -r -k 2”

After this, we discovered clamd wasn’t starting properly at boot-time. SELinux was bitching:

kernel: audit(1161390036.976:4): avc: denied { search } for pid=2356 comm="clamd.softpixel" scontext=system_u:system_r:clamd_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:sysctl_kernel_t:s0 tclass=dir kernel: audit(1161390036.976:5): avc: denied { search } for pid=2356 comm="clamd.softpixel" name="sys" dev=proc ino=4026531867 scontext=system_u:system_r:clamd_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:sysctl_t:s0 tclass=dir kernel: audit(1161390037.268:6): avc: denied { append } for pid=2356 comm="clamd.softpixel" name="clamd.softpixel" dev=dm-0 ino=2851961 scontext=system_u:system_r:clamd_t:s0 tcontext=root:object_r:var_log_t:s0 tclass=file kernel: audit(1161390037.272:7): avc: denied { sys_tty_config } for pid=2356 comm="clamd.softpixel" capability=26 scontext=system_u:system_r:clamd_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:clamd_t:s0 tclass=capability

Clamd started happily when we disabled SELinux protection for it:

  • in system-config-securitylevel, under SELinux / Modify SELinux Policy, I checked:
    • Other / clamscan_disable_trans
    • SELinux Service Protection / Disable SELinux protection for clamd daemon

Of course, I first tried to create a new policy allowing exactly what clamd was needing (which would be way preferable to disabling SELinux), but I got the following error…

# audit2allow -M local -l -i aud [root@leikata ~]# semodule -i local.pp libsepol.permission_copy_callback: Module local depends on permission search in class file, not satisfied libsemanage.semanage_link_sandbox: Link packages failed semodule: Failed!

… and haven’t been able to figure this out yet.

I have the same issue with qmail. Finally I used the tar and it’s now all working perfectly.

Pushkar Bhatkoti